More fun with science!

Welcome back to Term 4, our final term for the 2014 school year!

We are so very fortunate to have Mr Long and Ms. Elmer come into our classrooms and spend their final school placement with us before they Graduate as fully qualified classroom teachers in 2015.

What better way to start the term than continuing on from the joy and excitement that we were all involved in with Fiona last term when we celebrated Science Week.

Our experiments included-

1. ย Discovering and finding out more about sinking, floating and modifying our design briefs so that we could improve our original designs. We all made tin foil boats and many of us had to change our ย  boats so they could hold more weight and not sink.

2. ย Looking and a range of substances and using our senses (minus smell and taste) and working out whether the objects were classified as solids or liquids. It was pretty hard to try and work out what some of the substances were but we were not allowed to smell or taste in case they were poisonous.

Can you explain what science is?

What is something you have learnt doing these experiments?

What has been the most enjoyable experience you have had working in science classes this week?

What have you found the most challenging moment during science classes?

7 thoughts on “

1. Hi to all the people out there,
    We were very lucky to have Mr Long and Mrs Elma!
    I miss them very much!
    We all enjoyed the science lessons they gave us!
    I think the hardest thing was making the tin foil boats and filling them with as many weights as possible!
    Who’s boat carried the most weights in your group?
    From your friend: ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ Lucy C ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Hi people of the world,
    Mr Long and Ms Elmer have sure been some fun around the last few weeks.
    Science is now one of my favourite subjects! I really enjoyed experementing and seeing what comes up in the end.
    The most challenging thing with the science would be trying to get the right amount of something and making the experement work.
    Till next time,
    Angelica

3. To Everyone,
    Ms Elmer and Mr Long were great at teaching us. I hope they have a good time teaching next year in their own class.
    Science is where you experiment and if you don’t get it right the first time you try again and modify your experiment.
    Something I learnt during our science classes was what water was as a solid, liquid and a gas.
    The most enjoyable science experiment was making the terrariums. I had already made a terrarium at home and it was very fun to make another.
    The challenging part of making the terrariums was trying to put the plants in the soil to make sure they would grow properly.
    What science experiment did you not like?
    Good luck Ms Elmer and Mr Long.
    From Livia.

4. Hi 3/4,
    I really appreciate how Mr Long and Miss Elmer could come to our school and do some fantastic science with us.
    Miss Elmer’s was terrific. Our team got most of the estimations right when we had to guess what was in the measurment cups.
    Mr Long’s were really fun. It was really cool making the tin foil boat see how many weights can fit in the boats. Mine didn’t hold much only 2g!!
    I’m sure that Mr Long and Miss Elmer’s 3 weeks have been wonderful so far.
    What was your favourite science experiment?
    Keep on blogging,
    Angelica:)

5. Hey internet users,
    Nice photos! I’ve really enjoyed our science experiments we’ve done. I’ve learnt heaps. For example: a fancy ship dosen’t always hold much wieght. To answer your question Tarshie, I enjoyed every moment of our experiments.
    Which was your favourite experiment?
    Lucy

6. To everyone,
    I had HEAPS of fun doing the science with Ms. Elmer and Mr. Long!
    Science is where you experiment or find out different things about all sorts of things.
    Something I have found out is that when something is solid all the molecules stick together in one group, when they’re liqiud they flow and when it is gas they just flow around you freely!
    If you could be a scientist what kind would be?
    From,
    Alannah

7. To the universe,
    I enjoyed discovering the different liquids, solids and gases with Ms. Elmer.
    I also liked making a boat to explore sinking and floating with Mr Long.
    What did you enjoy?
    From your fellow classmate,
    Tarshie